Thursday, March 7, 2013

Ice Cream Brownies

Yes you read that right.  Brownies with ice cream (and hot fudge) mixed right in.  This recipe was frankensteined together after discovering the "ice cream sundae" brownies over at picky palate.  How could I resist the combination of two such delicious things?  Of course I had to have a gluten free version.  My best friend and baking buddy Isabel (who should really be in charge of writing these posts because she is much the superior linguist) set to work.  Using Pamela's brownie recipe basis for the dry ingredients (with flour rather than a mix) we created a moist, rich, delectable gluten free brownie
brownies are very hard to draw apparently.  Good thing you guys only have to look at the photographs

Ingredients:
1 cup of Pamela's Gluten Free Flour and Pancake mix*
1/2 cup of melted butter
4 ounces of unsweetened bakers chocolate (melted)
2 eggs
1 tsp of vanilla
1 cup of sugar
a liberal 1/2 cup of your favorite ice cream (I always go for ben & jerry's phish food)
1/4 cup of chilled hot fudge
1 1/2 cups of chocolate chips

Steps:
Preheat oven to 350 degrees
Line a 9x13" baking pan with tin foil and spray with Pam (use a lot.  Also the tin foil is not required if you happen to be out, it just makes cooling time shorter and clean up easier!)
Combine melted chocolate and melted butter with a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment
Add in eggs vanilla and sugar, mix until combined
Add the flour
Now for the fun part: Add in the ice cream and hot fudge, batter will be quite thick!
Lastly add the chocolate chips (I prefer to fold them in with a rubber spatula but using the mixer is fine as well)
Pour/spread into your prepared pan and bake for 40-50 minutes**

*I always use pamela's for this recipe but I'm fairly certain another blend of gf all purpose flour would work just as well as these brownies require little to no xanthan gum (the pamela's has a bit in it already)
** okay so that baking time is accurate BUT I once used an oven (college dorm) that only required them to bake for 25 minutes.  Imagine my dismay when I took my normally moist brownies out of the oven to find them dry and sad.  Needless to say I made a second batch.  But just so you know, keep an eye on them if your oven is a little finicky.  My current oven also has them baking for around 35 minutes before they start to lose some of their fudge factor

If you happen to like more cakey brownies you can still use this recipe, if they bake a bit longer (not too long mind you) they'll cake up, but I am definitely on team fudge brownie

No comments:

Post a Comment