Thursday, March 14, 2013

Sour Cream Crumb Cake

Tired of that plaid tablecloth yet?

I. Love. Crumb cake. (coffee cake).  A lot.  It's been years since I've been able to eat this delicious, crumbly, and moist treat and I have missed it so.  This is another first attempt for me and I'll say it was a good one.  The crumbs are crispier than I am normally used to so this isn't quite New York style but it's still delicious.  If you like a crispy crumbly topping and a moist yet substantial cake, this is the crumb cake for you.

Now I was concerned at first when I pulled it out of the oven that I should have let it bake longer.  I did the toothpick test a few times and it came out clean.  Then, remembering that I used dark brown sugar rather than all white sugar so that was going to change some things, my roommate and I tasted it and I was no longer concerned.


Adapted from All Recipes
Cake Ingredients:
1 cup of butter (2 sticks), melted
1 cup of dark brown sugar
1 cup of white sugar
2 eggs
1 cup of sour cream
1 tsp of vanilla extract
2 cups of GF all purpose flour (Bob's Red Mill)
1 tsp of Xanthan gum (Guar gum if you need to avoid corn)
1 tsp of baking powder
1/8 tsp of salt
Crumb Ingredients:
2/3 cup of GF all purpose flour
1 cup of dark brown sugar, packed
4 tbsps of melted butter
2 tsps of cinnamon

Steps:
Preheat oven to 350 degrees
Grease a 9x13 inch baking pan
Cream together sugars and melted butter
Beat in eggs one at a time, then add sour cream and vanilla
Mix in the flour, baking powder, and salt
Pour batter into pan and set aside
Combine crumb ingredients in a medium sized bowl and sprinkle all of it over the batter. Spread it evenly (you shouldn't be able to see the cake through the crumbs)
Bake for 40-50 minutes (do a toothpick check)
Let cool in pan on a wire rack, cut and serve!
I actually was drinking coffee while I made these

No comments:

Post a Comment